2 minutes reading time
Pros and Cons: Painted vs. Stained Kitchen Cabinets
Kitchen cabinets come in all shapes and sizes, but every person will notice the finish. When finishing cabinets, a homeowner needs to choose between painted or stained. Both stained and painted cabinets will look fantastic in the kitchen but deciding on the right one for your home can be a difficult choice. Let's look at the perks and pitfalls of both finishes.
Pros of Painted Cabinets
- Offers clean/smooth aesthetic: Paint covers all character marks common to stained woods, leaving a smooth and flawless finish. If you desire a crisp kitchen design, then painted cabinetry is the way to follow.
- More color options: The paint showcases any hue you wish to get on your cabinet. You can customize the look of your kitchen to suit any preference.
- Hides grains and imperfections: Normal wood has imperfections that you can hide creatively with paint. Paint fills imperfections, making it nearly impossible to detect them.
Cons of Painted Cabinets
- Tends to cost more: Painting cabinets may not be affordable for all homeowners. Whether you are repainting cabinets or starting with pre-painted cabinets, costs will vary.
- Harder to touch-up: Touching-up paint can be tricky. In most cases, you may not know the exact color of the cabinet.
Pros of Stained Cabinets
- Easy to touch-up: You can find several stained touch-up markers on the market. The touch-ups will blend better on stained cabinets.
- Costs less: Stained cabinets generally cost less than painted ones, though they can be costly if customized.
- Balances color and texture: Stain strikes a balance between texture and color. Since it's thinner than paint, you can still admire the wood's distinctive features.
Cons of Stained Cabinets
- Highlights imperfections: While some call the imperfections character, others may call them blemishes. Stain allows every distinct wood feature to show.
- Fewer color options: Stain comes in more limited color options than paint will provide. A homeowner may not prefer the stain options that work well with their specific cabinets.
At Major Painting Company, we offer outstanding craftsmanship with superior customer service to all our customers. To learn more about our kitchen cabinet painting services, contact us today!